Aurora James is a 37 years old Canadian fashion designer and activist. She is the founder of the fashion label, Brother Vellies. James is also the founder of a non-profit organization, the 15 Percent Pledge, which supports Black-owned businesses. As of 2022, Aurora James net worth is estimated to be around $2.5 million.
Aurora James designed the Met Gala dress for the politician and activist, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez at the 2021 Met Gala red carpet on September 13, where it was written in red letters “Tax The Rich.”
|Full Name||Aurora James|
|Birth Date||July 12, 1984|
|Birth Place||Toronto, Canada|
|Profession||Fashion Designer, Activist|
|Net Worth||$2.5 million|
Aurora James was born on the 12th of July, 1984 in Toronto, Canada, United States. She belongs to mixed ethnicity as her father is from Ghana, and her mother is a Canadian. James has spent most of her childhood days between Canada and Jamaica. She moved to Los Angeles in 2010, and then shifted her place to New York City.
Aurora spent few years of her early life experiment and designing fashion accessories after traveling across Africa in 2011. She kept on experimenting with her designs and tested designs at local markets in New York. During that time, she spent a lot of time working with many artisan groups. After few years of struggle, she finally launched her fashion label, Brother Vellies in January 2013.
Aurora James Net Worth & Career
View this post on Instagram
James started the fashion label with $3,500 in savings. She had the ultimate dream of promoting the work of African artisans. In the Spring 2014 season, she produced the first formal Brother Vellies collection. The collection was produced and created entirely with shoemakers in South Africa. James later expanded her fashion brand in other countries like Mexico and Honduras, which produced shoes, slippers, desert boots, and sandals.
James kept on experimenting with new things, and in 2015, she started producing the handbags for the Brother Vellies. She was able to win the CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund prize in 2015. Her fashion brand has been worn by many activists, artists, celebrities, and musicians such as Solange Knowles, Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, and Elaine Wleteroth.
Aurora came up with an innovative thought of starting the non-profit organization, 15 Percent Pledge in 2010. She took an initiative after the wave of Black Lives Matter activism and the killing of George Floyd. The initiative went viral after she posted an Instagram post on May 29. Through the organization, she focused on committing 15 percent of the major retailers’ shelf-space to Black-owned businesses.
James has recently been in the central part of the attraction for designing a dress for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, where it was written in big red letters, Tax the Rich. Cortez wore a dress at the Met Gala red carpet event on September 13, 2021. Both James and Cortez faced criticism for their hypocritical act of blasting the rich in the event.
James has previously used the public platform to voice against the current state of America in 2020. She wore a pair of boots that was inspired by America’s national flag on the cover of FN in December 2020. After the act, she told FN “One big element of it is that I really feel that we need to make sure that we can, to some degree, reclaim and claim the American flat.”
Aurora James Personal Life
Aurora James’ present relationship status is unknown. Either she is still single or has married someone has still been a subject of mystery. She has neither given any hint of dating anyone through her Instagram posts. James currently has 215k followers on her official Instagram account.
Aurora James Net Worth
As of 2022, Aurora James’ personal wealth is estimated to be around $2.5 million. She has amassed a big fortune from her successful business venture, and through her company, Brother Vellies. James’ company provides basic flats at the cost of around $285 and $615, whereas, the heels can cost around $800.
The shoe worn by Cortez at the recent Met Gala event was sold for $1000. Likewise, the dress James designed for Cortez is reported to be worth around $1 million.
Aurora James News
- Joseph Altuzarra, Gabriela Hearst, Aurora James, and the Proenza Schouler Designers Will Co-host the CFDA Fashion Awards With Amazon Fashion – VogueJoseph Altuzarra, Gabriela Hearst, Aurora James, and the Proenza Schouler Designers Will Co-host the CFDA Fashion Awards With Amazon Fashion Vogue
- Designers Christian Siriano and Aurora James: Brands 'Get in Their Own Way' Instead of Embracing Inclusivity – TIMEDesigners Christian Siriano and Aurora James: Brands 'Get in Their Own Way' Instead of Embracing Inclusivity TIME
- Aurora James Is Still In Awe By 'Unbelievable Support' Since Her Viral Instagram Post Two Years Ago – EssenceAurora James Is Still In Awe By 'Unbelievable Support' Since Her Viral Instagram Post Two Years Ago Essence
The Game Net Worth: How Rich Is the Rapper in 2022?
Game is an American rapper known for his extensive music catalog which includes the classic hip-hop album, The Documentary. The...
Flavor Flav Net Worth: How Rich Is the Rapper in 2022?
Flavor Flav is an American rapper known for being a founding member of the rap group, Public Enemy alongside Chuck...
Tyga Net Worth: How Rich Is the Rapper in 2022?
Tyga is an American rapper known for his mega-popular songs Rack City, Faded, Far Away, and Still Got It. The...
Logic Net Worth: How Rich Is the Rapper in 2022?
Logic is an American rapper and record producer known for his seven studio albums and hit single, 1-800-273-8255. The Logic...
- Rick Fox Net Worth, Age, Bio, Wife, and Kids
- Sheryl Crow Net Worth: How Rich Is the Singer in 2022?
- Kellie Pickler Net Worth: How Rich Is the Singer in 2022?
- Kirk Franklin Net Worth, Age, Bio, Kids, and Tour
- Miesha Tate Net Worth: How Rich Is the UFC Fighter in 2022?
- Omarion Net Worth, Age, Bio, Siblings, and IG
- Larry Fink Net Worth: How Rich Is the CEO in 2022?
- Nick Diaz Net Worth: How Rich Is the UFC Fighter in 2022?
- John Goodman Net Worth: How Rich Is the Actor in 2022?
- The Game Net Worth: How Rich Is the Rapper in 2022?